Sunday, April 1, 2012

crossing things off the bucket list

Guess what I did this weekend?  
Let's backtrack a little.
I workout between three and five times a week and average 45 minutes of cardio each time.  However, I do not run.  I hate it.  I'd love to love it, but that's not the case. 

Now, fast-forward to this past Saturday, when my Children's Hospital was one of the feature charities of the Cooper River Bridge Run.  I was the volunteer coordinator and recruited 100 volunteers to help us out with the wave start (each charity had to recruit 100 volunteers).
So on Saturday, we woke up at 4am and headed to the race.  After we got all the registered runners through the starting line, I did the unthinkable.  Actually, Brandon and I both did.

We jumped in with the 43,000 runners.  
That's right, we completed a 10K -our GPS said we ran 6.48 miles.  
Neither Brandon nor I had ever run over one mile at one time in the past.  But we did it!
Brandon was responsible for holding up the "Walk/Run" sign.  He was a very good sign holder.

Here is the start of our corral:

I climbed up on the median barrier on the bridge to take these photos during the race...
  
Here we are immediately after we crossed the finish line...

We celebrated at Midtown after the race with our friends, 

Our legs may be achey today, but it was such a great experience.  It's an awesome feeling to put your body to the limit and see what you can accomplish.  Now I will never have to say "I've never run more than a mile at one time" ever again!

When is the last time you've tested your limits?
Xo.

13 comments:

  1. Good for you guys!!! It looks like you had a great time! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way!!! Girl you rock! I am totally with you on the whole..I can't run more than a mile. Even when I played sports in high school, I couldn't run more than 3 miles. I am sooo impressed that you just jumped on in and ran it all!

    http://flyingfarandfree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this weekend doing a 5k mud run! I didn't think I could do it, but I finished! I'm so glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your run! What sunglasses are you wearing in your pics? I'm looking for a new pair and they caught me eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your run! I'm looking for a new pair of sunglasses and was wondering which ones you are wearing in the pictures? They look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Running is pretty much the only cardio I do so I run a lot of races but there is no better feeling than your first race and especially one with that kind of crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats so awesome you just decided to do it! It's amazing what we can can do if we don't let our minds talk us out of it or tell us we can't do something. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I am planning my second 5K scheduled for 4/14, and I have wondered what it would be like if I just ran it! I can't, because of the volunteer needs, but I'm so proud of you for doing it!
    Have a great Monday!
    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job!! Accomplishing a race is the best feeling! I run off and on and in 2010 ran my first half marathon. It was a lot of fun and I was able to push myself more than I anticipated! (Of course, my running hasn't been consistent since my goal, but oh well!) Looks like you all had a great time!

    the-blonde-ambitions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! Sounds like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh I hate running! That is something to be proud of though! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so funny because I ran a 10k this weekend with 40,000 people too in Richmond, VA (I'm also no runner!). Congrats! My legs are sore too but it feels great!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you ask a question, please make sure your email address is connected to comments through your Blogger profile. If you aren't sure how to do this but still want your question answered, please leave your email address at the end of your comment! Thanks! :)